Wednesday, March 18, 2009

E is for...

... English Camp!


That's right folks. The thing that I will be thinking about and most likely dreaming about for the next 4 1/2 months. English Camp as well as being the final thing we'll be involved in here in Spain, is really the culmination of everything we've worked towards my whole internship. Let me tell you about it.

This will be the 6th year of this 2 week intensive English camp that we put on for 100 kids in Tres Cantos. Because parents are desperate for their kids to learn English, spots fill up very quickly. Charlie was involved right from the beginning of our time here as he was responsible for revamping everything that needed a designers touch. And he did a GREAT job! And now it's my turn to be heavily involved. The success of EC is found in the 30-35 monitors who come to Spain and volunteer 2 weeks of their summer to help teach cute Spanish kids. My job is to co-ordinate all of these monitors. I send out applications, receive applications, answer questions, track down flight itineraries, and organize it all. If this is something you might be interested in...drop me an email! I'd be happy to hook you up with an application! 

As previously mentioned, this is an intensive English Camp. Through games, crafts, songs and sports we really try to make English come alive for these kids! However, this is NOT a Vacation Bible School. Our real testimony comes through the monitors who spend the 2 weeks living with a native Spanish family and letting their lives speak for themselves. I'm looking forward to experiencing what EC is all about! 

No comments: